Boliche (Cuban Pot Roast)
Makes: 8 to 10 servings
Prep: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 30 minutesDownload the Printable Version
Red Chile Marinade
- 3 dried nora chiles or 1 pasilla chile
- 6 dried ancho chiles
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon toasted ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon chile flakes
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 lbs. Smithfield® Prime Boneless Pork Loin
- 12oz. chorizo Bilbao sausage (semi-cured chorizo)
- 2 lbs. small peanut fingerling potatoes
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, for garnish
- 2 cups arugula leaves, for garnish
1.To make the Red Chile Marinade, remove the stem and seeds from both chiles. Toast chiles in a dry pan until just fragrant but no color forms, about 2 minutes.
2.Place toasted chiles and hot water in blender; blend on high until smooth. Add garlic, honey, thyme, rosemary, pepper, olive oil and salt to blender; blend until smooth. Let cool.
3.Beat together 1/4 of marinade and butter. Set aside at room temperature.
4.To make Chimichurri, combine vinegar, bay leaves, garlic and chile flakes in blender; blend until smooth. Combine with parsley, oregano and olive oil; season to taste with kosher salt.
5.To make Pork Loin, using a knife-honing steel, hollow out the very center of the loin. Place the Bilbao sausage in the hole you have created. Spread the marinade (not marinade-butter) evenly over stuffed pork loin and let marinate in refrigerator at least 20 minutes and up to 2 hours.
6.Heat oven to 375ºF. Place pork loin on a roasting rack. Toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon marinade-butter and kosher salt; place around the pork loin on rack. Roast until internal temperature of pork reaches 145ºF., about 1 hour. Remove from oven and brush remaining marinade-butter mixture all over pork; let stand at least 10 minutes before carving.
7.Serve pork loin with roasted potatoes and garnish with arugula leaves, toasted pine nuts and Chimichurri.