Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 1/2 hoursDownload the Printable Version
- Thinly sliced cabbage
- Thinly sliced fresh jalapeño
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced radishes
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced green onions
- 2.5 lbs. Smithfield® Prime Boneless Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast, fat removed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 lb. Smithfield® Bacon, diced
- 1 lb. Spanish chorizo
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup canned guajillo chile paste (may substitute guajillo chile cooking sauce)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 8 cups pork or chicken stock
- 1/4 habanero chile
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (29-oz.) cans hominy, drained
1.Sauté pork in large stockpot over medium-high heat until lightly browned; remove from pot. Add bacon and chorizo to stockpot and cook until fat has rendered and meat is crispy; remove from pot.
2.Carefully remove all but 1 tablespoon fat from stockpot. Add onion and garlic; cook over medium heat until softened but not brown. Add chile paste; cook 3 minutes. Add wine to deglaze pan, scraping up all the bits from the bottom of the pan. Continue cooking until wine is reduced by 3/4.
3.Add chicken stock, browned pork cubes, bacon and chorizo to pot; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until pork is very tender, about 3 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
4.Stir in hominy; cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
5.Ladle pozole in bowls. Garnish with cabbage, jalapeño, cilantro, radishes, avocado, and green onion.